Re: temporarily disabling foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seb
Subject Re: temporarily disabling foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 10 May 2011 14:29:48 -0400,
Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> in recent versions of postgres, there is a "replication" mode designed
> specifically for replication software to disable FK's and other
> triggers.  Perhaps investigate that.

> the other option is to make your FK's deferrable, and do all your
> delete in one big transaction with the FK checks deferred.  not sure
> if that will help.

> either that, or order your deletes and loads in a way such that the
> FKs remain satisfied.  unless you have circular dependencies, this
> should be possible.

Excellent, this last suggestion was actually a very simple and efficient
solution.  However, I got curious about the deferrable FK's, which might
make this and other scripts more flexible.

Thanks everyone for your feedback,

--
Seb