Re: CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES support
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> Uh, shouldn't CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING CONSTRAINTS already be including
> any indexes in the parent table?

You could argue it should for unique indexes since our unique indexes are how
we implement unique constraints. But I see no particular reason to expect it
to copy random other indexes. At least its name doesn't lead one to expect it
to.

I also thought it was sort of strange to have a command that otherwise is just
copying definitions suddenly start building whole new objects. I think I was
thinking it would be a long slow operation but I suppose creating an empty
index isn't really noticeably slow. It could print a NOTICE similar to what's
printed when you create a primary key or unique constraint.

It does mean that users would be unable to create a partition, load data, then
build indexes. Perhaps it would be nice to have an ALTER TABLE foo LIKE bar
INCLUDING CONSTRAINTS as well.

--
  Gregory Stark