Re: Forks of pgadmin3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: Forks of pgadmin3?
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 8:04 AM Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
>

>> > On Mar 22, 2019, at 10:56 AM, Christian Henz <c.henz@software-vision.eu>
>> wrote:
>> >

>> There's the BigSQL fork, which had at least some minimal support
>> for 10. I've no idea whether it's had / needs anything for 11
>

> I just installed BigSQL's v11 of the database to get the pgAdmin3 that
> comes with it (I couldn't get the Windows installer to install just
> pgAdmin, I had to take the entire server installation along with it) .
> Even though it comes with v11, when you start it says it only supports up
> to v10, and then gives a series of warnings about catalogs and system admin
> functions not being as expected.  Once you are past the warnings, it does
> work at least on the surface, but I have to think some features aren't
> going to work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

I think you have little choice other than to give up on pgAdmin3 and any
of the forks. The old pgAdmin3 had become difficult to maintain and I
doubt any fork will be able to avoid this.

I completely understand your frustration with pgAdmin4, though I have
observed significant improvement over the last 12 months. I'm in the
position where I have been prevented from upgrading our databases
because nobody on our team likes pgAdmin4 and they don't want to give up
on pgAdmin3. The proverbial tail wagging the dog if you ask me.

I have looked at some alternatives and have found that

1. dbeaver https://dbeaver.io/download/ is not too bad and is free
2. dataGrip from Atlasian is pretty good, but has a paid license
3. Most of our developers use Visual Code as their editor and it has
some pretty reasonable extensions which makes doing basic database
queries and display of results pretty reasonable and provides OK code
completion support.

Datagrip and visual code also have git integration, which is good if
your keen on DDL stuff being tracked and versioned in git.

Based on the improvements I've seen in pgAdmin4, I suspect it will get
to a usable and stable state eventually and will likely be a pretty good
replacement for pgAdmin3. However, currently, I find it still a little
too unstable.

Personally, I'm pleased I spent the time to get my Emacs and psql
integration working to the point that I do 90% of what I need in psql

--
Tim Cross