Re: Ubuntu 20.04: apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdgInRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: Ubuntu 20.04: apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdgInRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'
Date
List pgsql-general
Hugh <cetus35@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> While this doesn't appear to be a bug that causes problems of any kind, I do have a question about its cause.
>
> The "error" listed in the Subject: line is basically what I'm seeing. The entire message is below, particularly the
'N:'at the end. Is there a repo setting I should change to prevent the request for '386' architecture? Thank you in
advancefor your assistance.

> user@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt update
>
> Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
> Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease [107 kB]
> Get:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease [107 kB]
> Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease [98.3 kB]
> Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [90.4 kB]
> Hit:6 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdg InRelease
> Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [21.4 kB]
> Get:8 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [532 B]
> Get:9 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [16.6 kB]
> Get:10 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [208 B]
> Fetched 441 kB in 1s (367 kB/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> All packages are up to date.
> N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as repository
'http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/aptfocal-pgdg InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'

This error is because by default the debian package manager is trying to
download details on all supported architectures, but failing to find one
for i386. You can add an architecture tag to the repository definition
in the source list file i.e. /etc/apt/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/postgres.list (or whatever you have called
itIf).  Try adding the arch option as

deb [ arch=amd64 ] http://.....
deb-src [arch=amd64 ] ...

This should tell apt to only look for the amd64 packages.

--
Tim Cross