Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS
Date
Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

> Greg Stark wrote:
> >
> > I can't find any standard api to remove a single specific dependency. It seems
> > normally dependencies are only removed when dropping objects via
> > performDeletion.
>
> Huh, and can't you just drop an inheritance entry with performDeletion?
> Maybe what you should do is add support for that to doDeletion (and all
> dependency stuff it seems ...)

Well I'm not actually deleting anything. The dependency is between the two
tables and I don't want to delete either of the tables.

Perhaps what should really be happening here is that there should be
dependencies from the pg_inherit entry to the two tables rather than from one
table to the other.

Then a simple performDeletion on the pg_inherit entry would take care of the
dependencies.

I'm not sure how many other changes that would entail though.

--
greg