Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>
>> ORDER BY
>>  CASE ?
>>  WHEN 1 THEN name ASC
>
> Uh, no, putting the ASC/DESC decoration inside a CASE like that is not
> gonna work

doh! I had a feeling something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it
before I hit send. Sigh.

> For numerical sort keys you can cheat by using "-x" in place of
> "x DESC", but I'm not aware of any equivalent hack for text keys.

Yeah, you could do a really kludgy thing with a second sort expression where
you null out one expression or the other depending on the parameter but it
starts to look more and more spaghetti-like.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!