Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question
Date
List pgsql-sql
> If you're not concerned with the planner being able to find indexes to satisfy
> these orderings (ie, you don't mind always doing a sort) you could do
> something like:

> ORDER BY
>  CASE ?
>  WHEN 1 THEN name ASC
>  WHEN 2 THEN name DESC
>  WHEN 3 THEN height ASC
>  WHEN 4 THEN height DESC
>  ELSE id ASC
>  END

Uh, no, putting the ASC/DESC decoration inside a CASE like that is not
gonna work --- it's only allowed at the top level of an ORDER BY clause.
For numerical sort keys you can cheat by using "-x" in place of
"x DESC", but I'm not aware of any equivalent hack for text keys.
        regards, tom lane