Re: Keeping creation time of objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Volkan YAZICI
Subject Re: Keeping creation time of objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> AFAICS, PostgreSQL is not keeping info about when a table, database,
>> sequence, etc was created.  We cannot get that info even from OS,
>> since CLUSTER or VACUUM FULL may change the metadata of
>> corresponding relfilenode.
>
> When people aren't keeping track of their DDL, that is very strictly a
> process problem on their end.  When people are shooting themselves in
> the foot, it's a great disservice to market Kevlar shoes to them.

Word. In the company I'm currently working at we store database schema
in a VCS repository with minor and major version taggings. And there is
a current_foo_soft_version() function that returns the revision of the
related database schema. If there is no control over the database schema
changes in a company working scheme, the most logging-feature-rich
PostgreSQL release will provide an insignificant benefit compared the
mess needs to get fixed.

Regards.