Re: pg_dump in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: pg_dump in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> * We don't store dependencies for SQL functions to things mentioned in
> the SQL function body.  (Maybe we should, but we don't.)  So there's
> data missing in that case, and possibly other cases.

This might be interesting to do, and we could tie it into the need to
invalidate PL/PgSQL functions that depend on a database object when
the object is changed.

Perhaps when the function is defined, we run all the SQL queries in
the function body through the parser/analyzer/rewriter, and then
generate dependencies on the Query trees we get back?

In any case, there would be a limit to what we could divine from the
function definition (e.g. we'd get practically no info about a
function defined in C) -- but this might make things a little nicer,
anyway.

Cheers,

Neil