Re: Toasted table not deleted when no out of line columns left - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Toasted table not deleted when no out of line columns left
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> I think the issue is identifying the problem. Reading the title of the
>> post, I think Tom says "no" to *deleting* the toast table. He also says
>> "no" to cleaning the table as part of DROP COLUMN. That still leaves you
>> an opening for an out-of-line command/function to perform a clean,
>
> ... see CLUSTER ...

Hmm.... I wonder if this doesn't have the same problems you're describing with
the toaster. If someone has a cursor WITH HOLD against the table they don't
get a session level lock against the tables which fed the cursor do they? In
which case it's possible for there to be toast pointers in the cursor which
will expanded much later. If someone else has run CLUSTER in the intervening
time the user will get an error.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!