Re: WIP patch: Collation support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: WIP patch: Collation support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):

>> For anyone counting, Firebird added support for ICU more than three
>> years ago.
>
> ICU is orthogonal to this patch. This patch didn't provide ICU support,
> and we could start using ICU without the catalog changes.

This patch should allow to use both system catalog and ICU. pg_collate catalog
contains comparing function which is called for string comparing and if somebody
creates function which will use ICU then ICU will be supported. It is advantage
of pg_catalog. Without them you can have system or ICU but probably not both.
    Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql