Re: New variable server_version_num - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: New variable server_version_num
Date
List pgsql-patches
Quoth david@fetter.org (David Fetter):
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 12:37:48PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>> > SQL doesn't really have any conditional ability strong enough to
>> > deal with existence or non-existence of features.  What are you
>> > hoping to do, a CASE expression?  Both arms of the CASE still have
>> > to parse, so I remain unconvinced that there are real world uses.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION version_new_enough(
>     in_version INTEGER
> )
> RETURNS BOOLEAN
> LANGUAGE sql
> AS $$
> SELECT
>     COALESCE(
>         s.setting::INTEGER, /* Cast setting to integer if it's there */
>         $1 - 1              /* Otherwise, guarantee a lower number than the input */
>     ) >= $1
> FROM
>     (SELECT 'server_version_num'::text AS name) AS foo
> LEFT JOIN
>     pg_catalog.pg_settings s
>     ON (foo.name = s.name)
> $$;
>
>> There's also plpgsql, which afaik has no way to get the version
>> number (other than slogging though the output of version()).
>
> Right.  String-mashing is great when you have to do it, but this patch
> sets it up so you don't have to. :)

There's *some* data to be gotten from
  select setting from pg_catalog.pg_settings where name = 'server_version';

Seems to me that value isn't without its uses...

cbbrowne@dba2:pgsql-HEAD/doc/src/sgml> for port in 5432 5533 5532 5882; do
for> psql -p $port -h localhost -d template1  -c "select '$port',
setting from pg_catalog.pg_settings where name like 'server_version';"
for> done
 ?column? | setting
----------+---------
 5432     | 7.4.13
(1 row)

 ?column? | setting
----------+---------
 5533     | 7.4.10
(1 row)

 ?column? | setting
----------+---------
 5532     | 8.0.5
(1 row)

 ?column? | setting
 5882     | 8.2devel
(1 row)

If I wanted to, it oughtn't be difficult to "string smash" those
settings into something very nearly useful...
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/rdbms.html