Re: PostgreSQL Website : advocacy.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Website : advocacy.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-general
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
> >   IIRC there is now a replication solution in contrib/ I've never
> >   used it though. So you can perhaps cut the "available
> >   commercially" There might be other commercial offerings I know
> >   nothing about.
>
> Good point.  Althought the /contrib/rserv version doesn't work for
> PostgreSQL 7.2.x (have tried), there is still Usogres and
> stuff. Will update that.  :)

I think we should only advertise the features that we actually
support. IMHO, there is no open-source code that supports replication
in a way that is suitable for widespread production use -- so, at
least, you should keep the "commercially available" caveat.

Also, the feature list doesn't include foreign keys / ref int.,
cursors, ANSI outer joins, and MVCC (which you should probably explain
in terms a PHB can understand).

The list of interfaces should probably also include ecpg. If we're
including interfaces for languages not bundled with the database, Ruby
and PHP are probably worth including.

You can also elaborate on the support for stored procedures --
e.g. the languages in which they can be defined.

You might want to be a little more verbose on the support for
subqueries (don't just say UNION, etc.)

The paragraph titled "Extensible" seems to end in mid-sentence.

Mentioning the limitations of PostgreSQL might be good -- "we support
tables up to x gigabytes, with y rows, z columns, etc.". There's an
FAQ entry on this which you can probably adapt.

A brief bit on the history of Postgres might be good (it's been around
for a while, therefore it's not likely to die off any time soon).

The SapDB feature list is here:

        http://www.sapdb.org/sap_db_features.htm

Might be worth looking at...

Cheers,