Re: PostgreSQL Website : advocacy.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Website : advocacy.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Neil,

Neil Conway wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Gerhard Häring wrote:
> > >   IIRC there is now a replication solution in contrib/ I've never
> > >   used it though. So you can perhaps cut the "available
> > >   commercially" There might be other commercial offerings I know
> > >   nothing about.
> >
> > Good point.  Althought the /contrib/rserv version doesn't work for
> > PostgreSQL 7.2.x (have tried), there is still Usogres and
> > stuff. Will update that.  :)
>
> I think we should only advertise the features that we actually
> support. IMHO, there is no open-source code that supports replication
> in a way that is suitable for widespread production use -- so, at
> least, you should keep the "commercially available" caveat.

Does anyone know how usable Usogres is?  Haven't had the time to
properly implement it and test it.  :-/

> Also, the feature list doesn't include foreign keys / ref int.,
> cursors, ANSI outer joins, and MVCC (which you should probably explain
> in terms a PHB can understand).

Just added them (MVCC was already there though).

> The list of interfaces should probably also include ecpg. If we're
> including interfaces for languages not bundled with the database, Ruby
> and PHP are probably worth including.

Added these too.  :)

> You can also elaborate on the support for stored procedures --
> e.g. the languages in which they can be defined.

Not yet.  There's only so much that should be on the page, and although
we have tonnes of features I'm not sure that it's not overdone already.

> You might want to be a little more verbose on the support for
> subqueries (don't just say UNION, etc.)
>
> The paragraph titled "Extensible" seems to end in mid-sentence.

Oops.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Just fixed it.  :)

> Mentioning the limitations of PostgreSQL might be good -- "we support
> tables up to x gigabytes, with y rows, z columns, etc.". There's an
> FAQ entry on this which you can probably adapt.

Good point, but not just yet.  Let's see how this goes first.  :)

> A brief bit on the history of Postgres might be good (it's been around
> for a while, therefore it's not likely to die off any time soon).

Any suggestions to add to the presently-small-piece on the About page?
If anyone can put together something that sounds good, then that would
be an excellent improvement.

> The SapDB feature list is here:
>
>         http://www.sapdb.org/sap_db_features.htm
>
> Might be worth looking at...

Thanks heaps Neil.  Just added the stuff they mention, that we also
have.

Subtransactions was the only thing they seem to have that we don't (from
that list).

"Most Advanced Open Source Database" might still be correct after all.
MVCC is only optional for them, and we have a bunch more available
interfaces... :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Cheers,