Re: SQL99 ARRAY support proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: SQL99 ARRAY support proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:

> I'm leaning toward implode() and explode() now anyway because split() uses a
> regex for the delimiter in PHP (and probably Perl), and I was not planning to
> get that fancy.

PHP isn't exactly an exemplar for great language design.

explode/implode are terribly non-self-descriptive names. Someone seeing them
for the first time wouldn't really have any clue what they did and would have
zero chance of guessing their names to find them in an index.

I would suggest join_str() and split_str() if "join" is too sensitive a word
for an sql language.

--
greg