Re: Ajax/PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: Ajax/PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:

> Here's an example: The user wants to enter a bill (accounts payable) into the
> system. He first has to pick a vendor. Normally, this would entail a PHP page
> that generates a PostgreSQL query. The user would then get a second page with
> various vendor information (like number of due days for that vendor), and
> various other payable info. But wouldn't it be nice to have vendor information
> filled in on the original page, directly after the user picks a vendor?
> Theoretically, AJAX might allow something like this. But from what I can see,
> it would require PostgreSQL bindings in Javascript, and some way to pass the
> data back so that PHP could use it.

I'd do it the reverse: Javascript would call a PHP-enabled URL, PHP would get
the data, return to JS, JS would then populate the form.

This way all your logic is contained within PG and PHP.  JS would only be used
to manipulate the interface.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>