Re: create or replace language - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: create or replace language
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> The equivalent problem for views and functions is handled by restricting
> CREATE OR REPLACE to not change the output column set of a view or the
> type signature of a function, independently of whether there are any
> actual references to the object.  So maybe the right thing is that
> CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE can change "inessential" properties of an
> existing language, but not the core properties --- which might only be
> the handler function, though you could make a case for the validator and
> the trusted flag as well.

I'm not so sure. What about if a PL language wants to include a version number
in the language handler? Or if a new version has to change the name for some
reason -- perhaps they discover that the old name doesn't work on some linkers
for some reason.

--
  Gregory Stark