Re: create or replace language - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: create or replace language
Date
List pgsql-patches
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> ...  So maybe the right thing is that
>> CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE can change "inessential" properties of an
>> existing language, but not the core properties --- which might only be
>> the handler function, though you could make a case for the validator and
>> the trusted flag as well.

> I'm not so sure. What about if a PL language wants to include a version number
> in the language handler? Or if a new version has to change the name for some
> reason -- perhaps they discover that the old name doesn't work on some linkers
> for some reason.

Not sure that I find those cases convincing.  Remember that what CREATE
OR REPLACE LANGUAGE is going to be referring to is the handler
function's SQL-level name; there's already a layer of indirection
between it and link-level issues.

            regards, tom lane