Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Volkan YAZICI
Subject Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, "Gurjeet Singh" <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> writes:
> If you search for  OpenSSI Postgres, you hit this link:
>
> http://wiki.openssi.org/go/PostgreSQL_on_OpenSSI_enabled_Knoppix
>
> I have done this setup and small test on it about an year ago. The
> performance was horrible. I cannot say for sure, but I think, as
> OpenSSI FAQ mentions it, it's because of the way Postgres works with
> shared memory.

Yes, I read that page and saw your name in the history of the page. But
because of lacking test results and further information, I couldn't
derive to any solution from claims written there. At least, would you
mind giving some more details about below test factors:

- Which PostgreSQL version did you use? (Assuming you did appropriate
  postgresql.conf configurations.) Operating system, file system, etc.?

- What was the system specifications of the machines in the cluster?
  (Particularly network architecture comes to mind.)

- What sort of tests did you apply and in which ones you faced serious
  bottlenecks?

- What was the reason of the occured bottlenecks? (Memory access over
  network, which directly refers to raw network traffic?) If you did any
  monitoring, what were the other unhealthy statistics (suspicious
  changes) occured during tests?

> I hope you find that article useful in starting your own
> experiment. Lets hope there's some improvement since last year. Do let
> us all know the results.

BTW, can you comment on the activity of the OpenSSI project. A project
with a dead main page (see http://openssi.org) doesn't smell good to
me. Are there any alive support in the mailing lists?

Regards.