Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Shulgin
Subject Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Alex Shulgin <ash@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Here's the patch rebased against current HEAD, that is including the
>> recently committed action_at_recovery_target option.
> If this patch gets in, it gives a good argument to jump to 10.0 IMO.
> That's not a bad thing, only the cost of making recovery params as
> GUCs which is still a feature wanted.
>
>> The default for the new GUC is 'pause', as in HEAD, and
>> pause_at_recovery_target is removed completely in favor of it.
> Makes sense. Another idea that popped out was to rename this parameter
> as recovery_target_action as well, but that's not really something
> this patch should care about.

Indeed, but changing the name after the fact is straightforward.

>> I've also taken the liberty to remove that part that errors out when
>> finding $PGDATA/recovery.conf.
> I am not in favor of this part. It may be better to let the users know
> that their old configuration is not valid anymore with an error. This
> patch cuts in the flesh with a huge axe, let's be sure that users do
> not ignore the side pain effects, or recovery.conf would be simply
> ignored and users would not be aware of that.

Yeah, that is good point.

I'd be in favor of a solution that works the same way as before the
patch, without the need for extra trigger files, etc., but that doesn't
seem to be nearly possible.  Whatever tricks we might employ will likely
be defeated by the fact that the oldschool user will fail to *include*
recovery.conf in the main conf file.

--
Alex