Re: Testing the async-commit patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Testing the async-commit patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> But to get to the point: the urgency of testing the patch more
> extensively has just moved up a full order of magnitude,

The problem testing this patch is that the window for a committed transaction
to not be synced is quite narrow, especially for the regression tests. For
testing purposes I wonder if there are ways we can widen this window. Some
ideas, some wackier than others, are:

. Raise the default wal_writer_delay to 5s or so -- also temporary until release

. Add an ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING which randomly omits setting hint bits even when it could.

. add an ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING which randomly fails to update the LSN when syncing WAL so that even after a buffer
flushwe still can't set hint bits.

Only the first one isn't really wacky, but perhaps there's something there.