Re: Posting to hackers and patches lists - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Posting to hackers and patches lists
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> "Matthew T. O'connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
>> Patches are an integral part of the conversation about development, I
>> think trying to split them up is awkward at best.  Do people really
>> still think that the potential for larger messages is really a problem?
>
> Personally I'd be fine with abandoning -patches and just using -hackers.
> We could try it for awhile, anyway, and go back if it seems worse.

I'm for that.

>> By the way, what is the actual size limit on hackers vs patches.
>
> They do have different size limits; we'd have to raise the limit on
> -hackers if we do this.  Marc would know exactly what the limits are.

Note that even the size limit on -patches is too small for some patches.

What I did with previous large patches which were not getting through to
patches was put them up on a web page but with a new filename for each
version. So the URL for a given version *was* stable, the content never
changed. You could check the index page to see if there were more recent
versions.

I would suggest putting large patches up on the wiki in cases like that now,
but isn't there a size limit on the wiki too?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!