Re: cvs head? initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: cvs head? initdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@yahoo.com> writes:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> people would always want to have those choices (especially for doing
>> development/testing/benchmarking between the different methods) the
>> question is is it worth the effort to give people those options?

To me, the question is whether it's worth the additional complexity
for users and administrators, and to a lesser extent the code
complexity. (I think the answer is "no")

> And in the case of the cache strategy, the point is that different
> access patterns might be served better by different strategies.

Granted -- but IMHO it would be better to concentrate on making sure
that ARC adapts to any access pattern so that the set of access
patterns where you _really want_ LRU is a small as possible, if not
empty.

-Neil