Re: Incremental results from libpq - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Incremental results from libpq
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Frank van Vugt <ftm.van.vugt@foxi.nl> writes:

> I'm wondering, what kind of failure do you have in mind, here? If I'm informed
> correctly then Oracle and others are generating the complete static result
> set on the server-side, which will then stay cached until all rows/chunks are
> fetched.

That's obviously not true. Try doing "select * from huge_table" on Oracle and
you'll see records start appearing immediately. There are applications where
huge_table could occupy hundreds of gigabytes (or petabytes) and requiring all
queries to create copies of all their result sets before proceeding would make
lots of important applications entirely infeasible.

--
greg