Re: PL/SQL Function: self-contained transaction? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: PL/SQL Function: self-contained transaction?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:

> In PostgreSQL, as everyone knows, a QUERY == a transaction, unless wrap'd in a
> BEGIN/END explicitly ... how does that work with a function?  is there an
> implicit BEGIN/END around the whole transaction, or each QUERY within the
> function itself?

The whole outer query issued from your frontend is in one transaction.

> If the whole function (and all QUERYs inside of it) are considered one
> transaction, can you do a begin/end within the function itself to 'force'
> commit on a specific part of the function?

Functions cannot issue start or end transactions. They're a creature of the
transaction you're in when you call them. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to
be able to call them from within a query.

There is some discussion of "stored procedures" which would live outside of
transactions and be able to create transactions, commit, and roll them back.
But I don't think any of that work is committed yet. I'm not even sure it's
been written yet.

--
greg