Re: RI triggers and schemas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RI triggers and schemas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
>     Actually I'm kicking around a slightly different idea, how to
>     resolve   the   entire   problem.   We  could  build  up  the
>     querystring, required to do the check,  at  trigger  creation
>     time,  parse it and store the querytree node-print or hand it
>     to the trigger as argument.

Hm.  Seems kinda bulky; and the parse step alone is not that expensive.
(You could only do raw grammar parsing I think, not the parse analysis
phase, unless you wanted to deal with having to outdate these stored
querytrees after changes in table schemas.)

I think the existing scheme of generating the plan during first use
in a particular backend is fine.  At least as long as we're sticking
with standard plans at all ... IIRC Stephan was wondering about
bypassing the whole parse/plan mechanism in favor of heap-access-level
operations.