Re: RI triggers and schemas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: RI triggers and schemas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> As of CVS tip, referential integrity triggers are kinda broken: they
> will only work for tablenames that are in the current search path.
> I think that instead of storing just table names in the trigger
> parameters, we should store either table OIDs or schema name + table
> name.  Do you have any preferences about this?
>
> An advantage of using OIDs is that we could forget the pushups that
> ALTER TABLE RENAME presently goes through to update RI triggers.
>
> On the other hand, as long as the RI implementation depends on
> generating textual queries, it'd be faster to have the names available
> than to have to look them up from the OID.  But I seem to recall Stephan
> threatening to rewrite that code at a lower level pretty soon, so the
> speed issue might go away.  In any case it's probably a minor issue
> compared to generating the query plan.
>
> So I'm leaning towards OIDs, but wanted to see if anyone had a beef
> with that.
   I'd  go  with  OIDs too, because they're unambigous and don't   change.
   Actually I'm kicking around a slightly different idea, how to   resolve   the   entire   problem.   We  could  build
up  the   querystring, required to do the check,  at  trigger  creation   time,  parse it and store the querytree
node-printor hand it   to the trigger as argument. Isn't that using  oid's  already,   ignoring  the  names?   This
requiresa shortcut into SPI to   plan an existing parsetree.

Jan