Re: Are there commands to enquire about table structure? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Are there commands to enquire about table structure?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Ben" <reply@to-the-newsgroup.com> writes:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:41:54 -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
>> For 7.3, the info you need is available in the system catalogs, which
>> have a somewhat hairier layout than the SQL-standard information_schema.
>
> Doug, thanks - do you know if the system catalogs retain the same
> abilities in 7.4? So that if I implement this, will it still work later? I
> don't mind "hairy", but "temporary" is a concern, at least.

The system catalog layouts are not guaranteed to stay the same between
major versions.  You will certainly be *able* to get column layout
information from the syscats but your queries might have to change
when you upgrade.  I don't actually know whether anything major
changed between 7.3 and 7.4 that would break what you're trying to do,
but I doubt it.

-Doug