Re: Advice: Where could I be of help? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Advice: Where could I be of help?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Curtis Faith" <curtis@galtair.com> writes:
> I'd like to help work on some 7.4 features, however, since you've
> not seen my name before, I'm obviously new to the list and the org.

[...]

> Any suggestions for where to start?

Well, I'd suggest working on what you find interesting -- there is
room for improvement in just about every area of the system, so don't
let us dictate how you spend your free time.

That said, the code for hash indexes requires some *major* changes,
and AFAIK none of the core developers are planning on working on it
any time soon (and since the hash index could is somewhat isolated, it
might be a good place to start). There's also plenty of work remaining
to be done for replication -- the pgreplication project could use some
help. You could also improve PL/pgSQL -- there are a bunch of
relatively minor improvements that could be made. You could also try
implementing bitmap indexes, or improving GEQO (the genetic-algorithm
based query optimizer).

HTH,

Neil