Re: Advice: Where could I be of help? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Advice: Where could I be of help?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I would read the developers corner stuff, the developers FAQ, pick a
TODO item, and try a patch.  It's that simple.  Feel free to contact me
for specific advice.  I am on chat at:AIM    bmomjianICQ    151255111Yahoo    bmomjianMSN    root@candle.pha.pa.usIRC
#postgresql vis efnet

Curtis Faith wrote:
> All,
>
> I'd like to help work on some 7.4 features, however, since you've not seen
> my name before, I'm obviously new to the list and the org.
>
> I really like working on speed optimizations and rewrites. I have 15 years
> experience with C++-based systems and databases,  and have worked on
> commercial database engines (i.e. indexing and query execution systems), sql
> execution and optimization, various lex and yacc based compilers and
> parsers. I've generally been able to get code to perform as well or better
> than competitive systems with similar functionality, and usually have been
> able to beat other code by 3 to 10 X. My unix experience is reasonable but
> I'm not an expert.
>
> Any suggestions for where to start? I don't mind digging into very hairy
> code or large problems. I'm willing to run the risk of a patch not being
> accepted (for large changes) since I'll make sure whatever I do is well
> known to those who will do the accept/deny and the approach approved of
> ahead of time.
>
> Since I'm new here, I'm thinking a problem that would not otherwise get
> handled by the experienced group would be the best place to start. Where is
> the system especially slow?
>
> I've read the TODO's, and the last five months of the archives for this
> list, so I have some general ideas.
>
> I've also had a lot experience marketing to I.T. organizations so I'd be
> happy to help out on the Product Marketing for PostgreSQL advocacy, i.e.
> developing a marketing strategy, press releases, etc.
>
> - Curtis
>
> Curtis Faith
> Principal
> Galt Capital, LLP

> Galt Capital                            http://www.galtcapital.com
> 12 Wimmelskafts Gade
> Post Office Box 7549                           voice: 340.776.0144
> Charlotte Amalie,  St. Thomas                    fax: 340.776.0244
> United States Virgin Islands  00801             cell: 340.643.5368

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19073