Re: somebody working on: Prevent default re-use of sysids for dropped users and groups? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From schmidtm
Subject Re: somebody working on: Prevent default re-use of sysids for dropped users and groups?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom + *,

Am 03.12.2004 um 23:58 schrieb Tom Lane:

> schmidtm <schmidtm@mock-software.de> writes:
>> is somebody working on these two issues on the TODO-List?
>
>> 1) Prevent default re-use of sysids for dropped users and groups
>
> I don't know of anyone actively working on it, but if you check the
> archives you'll find that the preferred solution approach is pretty
> well
> hashed out --- it boils down to creating a shared sequence object and
> using that, rather than a MAX(sysid) query, to select default sysids.
> The painful part of this is just that bootstrap mode doesn't currently
> have any support for creating sequences.  I don't think fixing that
> will
> be hugely hard, but it might be a bit tedious.

Do I get that right: the only reason to do
max(sysid) or a  user-supplied ID in CreateUser() (commands/user.c) is
that
we don't have the ability to get sequences over the *.BKI/initdb
mechanism?

If that is true and you think it's possible and worth to have sequences
in the bootstrap,
I volunteer to do this.

>> 2) Prevent dropping user that still owns objects, or auto-drop the
>> objects
>
> No one has any idea how to do this reasonably --- the problem is you
> have no visibility into databases other than the one you're connected
> to, so you can't tell what the user owns in other databases.

I think it's much better to leave this to somebody with far more
understanding of the subject.

>             regards, tom lane

cheers,

Matthias