Re: PL/Perl and Perl 5.8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PL/Perl and Perl 5.8
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Erm, no -- Reinhard Max already sent a fix for this to -patches, Tom
> had an objection to it, and then Reinhard posted another version
> (which presumably satisfies Tom's objections).

Peter didn't like it ... which is about what I'd expected, but I was
keeping quiet till he weighed in ...

I'm guessing that what we need to do is -D_GNU_SOURCE somewhere in the
Makefiles; the $64 question is exactly where (can we restrict it to
src/pl/plperl?) and what conditions should cause the Makefiles to add
it?  Do we want a configure test?

FWIW, I see no such failure on HPUX with Perl 5.8.0, but that seems to
be because Perl's HAS_CRYPT_R symbol doesn't get set here.  Which is odd
in itself, because crypt_r() is definitely available on this platform.