Messed up dblink... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry LeVan
Subject Messed up dblink...
Date
List pgsql-general
Something seems to have messed up my dblink interface...

The only thing I can think that has changed the last week
was the installation of 8.3.7.

It has been a long time since I have had to think about
the installation of the dblink package...

The basic situation is as follows...

I have my main financial db on my Mac Book Pro 'mbp' and
backed up to my home server 'server' a Mac Mini and
also a linux box 'linuxbox'.

All currently running pg 8.3.7

I load my financial info weekly into the mac book pro
and then transfer the new data to the 'server' and
'linuxbox'.

I do this by connecting say to 'server' and then
connecting back to 'mbp' via dbilink and then pulling
the new data back to 'server' via dblink calls.

Here is a simplified version of the problem...

[mbp:~]$ psql -hserver -Ulevan

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help with psql commands
        \q to quit

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=mbp user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar')
levan-# ;
ERROR:  could not establish connection
DETAIL:  could not translate host name "mbp" to address: Temporary
failure in name resolution

levan=# \q

The above error did not occur last week prior to the installation of
8.3.7

Going the other way...

server:~ jerry$ psql -hmbp -Ulevan

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help with psql commands
        \q to quit

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=server user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar')
levan-# ;
  dblink_connect
----------------
  OK
(1 row)

Seems to work.

Also connecting to the linuxbox and coming back seems to work...

[mbp:~]$ psql -hlinuxbox -Ulevan

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help with psql commands
        \q to quit

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=mbp user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar');
  dblink_connect
  OK
(1 row)

levan=# \q

I did a make and make install in the dblink directory on both
server and mbp and the results did not change...

any suggestions?

Thanks

Jerry