Re: Three animals fail test-decoding-check on REL_10_STABLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Three animals fail test-decoding-check on REL_10_STABLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/12/19 2:03 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 1/11/19 6:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> While I think I've fixed this bug, I'm still quite confused about why
>>> only some buildfarm animals showed the problem.
>> ... Is there something weird about naming of library files on HP-UX?
> Doh!  I looked right at this code last night, but it failed to click:
>
>     # these files should be present if we've temp_installed everything,
>     # and not if we haven't. The represent core, contrib and test_modules.
>     return ( (-d $tmp_loc)
>           && (-f "$bindir/postgres"       || -f "$bindir/postgres.exe")
>           && (-f "$libdir/hstore.so"      || -f "$libdir/hstore.dll")
>           && (-f "$libdir/test_parser.so" || -f "$libdir/test_parser.dll"));
>
> On HPUX (at least the version gaur is running), the extension for
> shared libraries is ".sl" not ".so".
>
> That doesn't explain the failures on damselfly and koreaceratops,
> but they're both running very old buildfarm clients, which most
> likely just don't have the optimization to share a temp-install.

Yes, they are on an older version that doesn't use the NO_TEMP_INSTALL
flag at all.

> I wonder if it's practical to scrape DLSUFFIX out of src/Makefile.port
> instead of listing all the possibilities here.  But I'm not sure how
> you'd deal with this bit in Makefile.hpux:
>
> ifeq ($(host_cpu), ia64)
>    DLSUFFIX = .so
> else
>    DLSUFFIX = .sl
> endif

I'd rather get make to tell us directly, something like:

    .PHONY: show_dl_suffix
    show_dl_suffix:
        @echo $(DLSUFFIX)

I can arrange something like that in the buildfarm code if we think the
use case is too narrow.

> Anyway, the bigger picture here is that the shared-temp-install
> optimization is masking bugs in local "make check" rules.  Not
> sure how much we care about that, though.  Any such bug is only
> of interest to developers, and it only matters if someone actually
> stumbles over it.

right.

cheers

andrew