Re: Three animals fail test-decoding-check on REL_10_STABLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Three animals fail test-decoding-check on REL_10_STABLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 1/11/19 6:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> While I think I've fixed this bug, I'm still quite confused about why
>> only some buildfarm animals showed the problem.

> ... Is there something weird about naming of library files on HP-UX?

Doh!  I looked right at this code last night, but it failed to click:

    # these files should be present if we've temp_installed everything,
    # and not if we haven't. The represent core, contrib and test_modules.
    return ( (-d $tmp_loc)
          && (-f "$bindir/postgres"       || -f "$bindir/postgres.exe")
          && (-f "$libdir/hstore.so"      || -f "$libdir/hstore.dll")
          && (-f "$libdir/test_parser.so" || -f "$libdir/test_parser.dll"));

On HPUX (at least the version gaur is running), the extension for
shared libraries is ".sl" not ".so".

That doesn't explain the failures on damselfly and koreaceratops,
but they're both running very old buildfarm clients, which most
likely just don't have the optimization to share a temp-install.

I wonder if it's practical to scrape DLSUFFIX out of src/Makefile.port
instead of listing all the possibilities here.  But I'm not sure how
you'd deal with this bit in Makefile.hpux:

ifeq ($(host_cpu), ia64)
   DLSUFFIX = .so
else
   DLSUFFIX = .sl
endif

Anyway, the bigger picture here is that the shared-temp-install
optimization is masking bugs in local "make check" rules.  Not
sure how much we care about that, though.  Any such bug is only
of interest to developers, and it only matters if someone actually
stumbles over it.