Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" fails.

> This seems to have caused some kind of problem for the 017_shm.pl test:

Hmm.  I think the problem is that poll_start() thinks it can just call
start() a second time after a failure.  If it wasn't a true failure
but a timeout, then _pid is now set and the second call complains.

I'm not entirely sure how that scenario worked before --- maybe
pg_ctl is not picky about whether the running postmaster is the
same one it started??

Anyway it seems like we need some less-fuzzy thinking in poll_start.
Haven't absorbed enough caffeine to decide what.

A possible band-aid to get rid of the buildfarm failures is to force
a higher PGCTLTIMEOUT during poll_start.

            regards, tom lane