Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" fails.
>
> "pg_ctl start" might start a new postmaster and then return failure
> anyway, for example if PGCTLTIMEOUT is exceeded.  If there is a
> postmaster there, it's still incumbent on us to shut it down at
> script end, so check for the PID file even though we are about
> to fail.
>
> This has been broken all along, so back-patch to all supported branches.
>
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/647439.1642622744@sss.pgh.pa.us

This seems to have caused some kind of problem for the 017_shm.pl test:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=skink&dt=2022-01-20%2003%3A23%3A44
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=tern&dt=2022-01-20%2001%3A14%3A07
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=hornet&dt=2022-01-20%2000%3A10%3A37