Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[ trimming the cc list since this isn't VAX-specific ]

I wrote:
> Yeah.  We'd need to look at the relevant part of config.log to be sure,
> but my guess is that configure tried that switch, failed to recognize
> that it wasn't actually working, and seized on it as what to use.
> Maybe the test-for-workingness isn't quite right for this platform.

BTW, it sure looks like the part of ACX_PTHREAD beginning with    # Various other checks:    if test "x$acx_pthread_ok"
=xyes; then

(lines 163..210 in HEAD's acx_pthread.m4) is dead code.  One might
think that this runs if the previous loop found any working thread/
library combinations, but actually it runs only if the *last* switch
tried worked, which seems a bit improbable, and even if that was the
intention it's sure fragile as can be.

It looks like that section is mostly AIX-specific hacks, and given that
it's been awhile since there was any AIX in the buildfarm, I wonder if
that code is correct or needed at all.