Re: [NOVCE] Describe Table Problems - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [NOVCE] Describe Table Problems
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Ridvan Lakas ng Bayan S. Baluyos" <ridvan@baluyos.net> writes:
> I'm currently having problems trying to describe a table in one of my
> database servers. Here's the error:

> backoffice_t2=# \d control.storedate_done
> ERROR:  column t.tgconstraint does not exist
> LINE 3: WHERE t.tgrelid = '1154864' AND t.tgconstraint = 0
>                                         ^

You're apparently trying to use an 8.3 psql with an 8.2 or older server.
It should have warned you when you started it, like so:

WARNING:  You are connected to a server with major version 8.2,
but your psql client is major version 8.3.  Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

> Even in phpPgAdmin, I could not check the description of the table.

... and I'll bet your phpPgAdmin is out of sync too.

As of 8.4, psql's \d commands work with a range of older server
versions, but in every preceding release they are quite
version-specific.  I don't know the exact story on cross-version
compatibility for phpPgAdmin, but it sounds like it's version-specific
as well.

            regards, tom lane