Re: patch for 9.2: enhanced errors - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: patch for 9.2: enhanced errors
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun19, 2011, at 05:10 , Steve Singer wrote:
> On 11-06-18 06:36 PM, Steve Singer wrote:
>> On 11-06-08 04:14 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>
>> Here is my review of this patch
>>
>> Submission Review:
>> ------------------------
>> The patch applies cleanly against master
>> The patch does not include any documentation updates (see note below to update config.sgml)
>> The patch does not include any unit tests. At a minimum it should add a few tests with verbosity set to verbose
>>

> On second thought tests might not work. Is the only way to get the constraint details are in verbose mode where line
numbersfrom the c file are also included? If so then this won't work for the regression tests.   Having the diff
comparisonfail every time someone makes an unrelated change to a source file isn't what we want.

Speaking as someone who's wished for the feature that Pavel's patch provides
many times in the past - shouldn't there also be a field containing the
offending value? If we had that, it'd finally be possible to translate
constraint-related error messages to informative messages for the user.

best regards,
Florian Pflug