Re: [HACKERS] Cutting initdb's runtime (Perl question embedded) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Cutting initdb's runtime (Perl question embedded)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Btw, I think Tom's "more that could be done" was referring more to doing
> more upfront work, checking, easier input format, whatnot in the genbki,
> not so much performance work...  Tom, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, as per what we were just saying, performance of that code isn't
really an issue right now.  Supporting a nicer input format is probably
the biggest step forward that could be taken, but that will require some
major work :-(.  We've also talked about things like supporting
regprocedure rather than only regproc (ie disambiguating overloaded
functions), likewise regoperator, and so on, with an eye to reducing
the number of places where people have to write numeric OIDs in the
input.  There's some threads on this in the archives, but I'm too
lazy to look.