Re: BUG #17803: Rule "ALSO INSERT ... SELECT ..." fails to substitute default values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17803: Rule "ALSO INSERT ... SELECT ..." fails to substitute default values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
> Here's an updated patch, now with test cases involving both OLD and
> NEW references.

It might be worth doing

+        if (rte->rtekind == RTE_SUBQUERY && !rte->lateral &&
+            contain_vars_of_level((Node *) rte->subquery, 1))
+            rte->lateral = true;

so as to save the expense of contain_vars_of_level() when the flag
is already set.  However, it's arguable that no users would bother
with writing LATERAL, so this might be pointless.

More importantly, I think the comment could do with a bit more
information.  Maybe like

     /*
+     * Mark any subquery RTEs in the rule action as LATERAL if they contain
+     * Vars referring to the current query level (references to NEW/OLD).
+     * Those really are lateral references, but we've historically not
+     * required users to mark such subqueries with LATERAL explicitly.
+     * But the planner will complain if such Vars exist in a non-LATERAL
+     * subquery, so we have to fix things up here.
+     */

That might be overly verbose, but I think it's good to memorialize this
sort of info.

LGTM otherwise.

            regards, tom lane