Re: Two aesthetic bugs in the 1-byte packed varlena code - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Two aesthetic bugs in the 1-byte packed varlena code
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Well, it seems like it would be nice to mark which ones are and aren't unsafe
> rather than have them all be there waiting to trip people up.

We already do mark 'em --- that's what all the VARIABLE LENGTH FIELDS
START HERE comments are about.  I'm not especially worried about
mechanizing it since in practice code that tries to access those fields
will crash pretty obviously and consistently, except for the first such
field which is safe anyway.

            regards, tom lane