Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas OSB sIT <Andreas.Zeugswetter@s-itsolutions.at> writes:
>> If you accept the idea that column identity should be based on column
>> name, then the only two operations that are really necessary are
>> "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" and "ALTER VIEW RENAME COLUMN", and it is
>> 100% clear what the semantics of those operations should be.

> +1

It's nice, it's simple, and it's unimplementable.  At least not without
huge changes in the representation of stored views, which would likely
lead to failure to follow spec-required behavior in other ways.  Other
views are going to refer to the columns of this one by *number*, not
name, and it's not clear to me how you're going to preserve column
number identity with this approach.