Re: Which processor runs better for Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Which processor runs better for Postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Jun 13, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Steve Poe wrote:

> Can anyone share what their experience has been with Intel's dual core
> CPUs and/or Dell's new servers?

I'm one of the few Dell fans around here... but I must say that I
don't buy them for my big DB servers specifically since they don't
currently ship Opteron based systems.  (I did call and thank my sales
rep for pushing my case for them to do Opterons, though, since I'm
sure they are doing it as a personal favor to me :-) )

I just put up a pentium-D dual-core based system and it is pretty
wickedly fast.  it only has a pair of SATA drives on it and is used
for pre-production testing.

> I am hoping the client is willing to wait for Dell to ship a AMD
> Opeteron-based server.

Don't wait.  It will be *months* before that happens. Go get a Sun
X4100 and an external RAID array and be happy.  These boxes are an
amazing work of engineering.

Attachment