Re: Extension Templates S03E11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date
Re: Extension Templates S03E11  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> So, to support uploading PGXN zip files directly within the backend, now
> the backend must be in a position to unpack the archive and build the
> extension, then it must know where the build artefacts are going to be
> found or it needs to `make install` in a known prefix and follow our
> current conventions to find the files.

As I've said multiple times before, this is an absolute nonstarter.
It's insane from a security standpoint, and it requires a whole lot
of infrastructure that wouldn't be there on a production box
(starting with the Postgres header files, but even a C compiler
wouldn't necessarily be there).

What you are looking for is a software distribution channel.  A postgres
daemon isn't that and we shouldn't try to make it that.