Re: Actions requiring commit - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Lee Horowitz
Subject Re: Actions requiring commit
Date
List pgsql-novice
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Lee <Lee@jamtoday.com> wrote:
>> What's the postgres story? If I write to a native operating system file,
>> (and don't commit), does the output appear immediately (no counting
>> internal
>> small delay) ?
>>
>> What about issuing a "system" (shell) comnmand? Causing an signal,  (er
>> "Notify" in postrges land, I guess) , putting something on a queue via
>> PGQ
>> or similar
>> tool?
>
> In Postgres anything that Postgres manages itself only happens at
> commit. So aside from table modifications and schema changes NOTIFY
> only takes place at commit. But if you have a pl language like plperl
> or plsh write to a file that's outside Postgres's sphere of influence
> and it will happen right away.
>
> I'm not familiar with PGQ, I'm not sure which tack it takes. Its
> documentation should have an answer though.

Thanks for the reply.

Does that go for pl/pgsql as well?

If I call a pl/pgsql procedure from the psql  command line (or from
another pl/pgsql procedure?) will commits in the called procedure cause
commit in the calling procedure as well, or will the caller and callee
have in effect different "threads" or sessions so that their respective
commits are separated?