Re: Actions requiring commit - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Actions requiring commit
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Lee Horowitz <leeh@panix.com> wrote:

> Does that go for pl/pgsql as well?
>
> If I call a pl/pgsql procedure from the psql  command line (or from
> another pl/pgsql procedure?) will commits in the called procedure cause
> commit in the calling procedure as well, or will the caller and callee
> have in effect different "threads" or sessions so that their respective
> commits are separated?

pl/pgsql functions can't commit. Any database modifications are
committed at the end of the transaction. We currently don't have
"stored procedures" which live outside of transactions and can start
and commit transactions on their own, only functions which live
entirely within one transaction.

--
greg