Re: Converting non-null unique idx to pkey - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kristo Kaiv
Subject Re: Converting non-null unique idx to pkey
Date
List pgsql-general

On 23.08.2007, at 11:23, Alban Hertroys wrote:

Ed L. wrote:
On Tuesday 21 August 2007 1:45 pm, Scott Marlowe wrote:
If you have a large db in 7.4.6, you should do two things.

1: Update to 7.4.19 or whatever the latest flavor of 7.4 is,
right now.  There are a few known data eating bugs in 7.4.6.

Sounds like good advice from a strictly technical viewpoint.
Unfortunately, in our particular real world, there are also
political, financial, and resource constraints and impacts from
downtime that at times outweigh the technical merits of
upgrading 'right now'.

Since you're setting up replication to another database, you might as
well try replicating to a newer release and swap them around once it's
done. I've seen that method of upgrading mentioned on this list a few times.
Don't try this. Belive me you don't want to do it. We have had our fun with this 1.5 y ago

Kristo Kaiv
http://kaiv.wordpress.com (PostgreSQL blog)