Re: High inserts, bulk deletes - autovacuum vs scheduled vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: High inserts, bulk deletes - autovacuum vs scheduled vacuum
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Jeremy Haile:

> I'd like any performance advice, but my main concern is the amount of
> time vacuum/analyze runs and its possible impact on the overall DB
> performance.  Thanks!

You could partition your data tables by date and discard old data
simply by dropping the tables.  This is far more effective than
vacuuming, but obviously, this approach cannot be used in all cases
(e.g. if you need more dynamic expiry rules).

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99